THE MASTERS!!!!!
The Masters is the golf tournament that I look forward to the most. It signifies so many things. The first major of the year. The true beginning of the excitement of golf (for me). The changing of the weather. Being from Michigan, the weather is uncooperative until this time of year. I grew up dreaming of playing at Augusta National and taking the drive down Magnolia Lane. I imagined standing on the 18th tee after just birdieing 17, needing one more birdie to win. I pictured myself on the 18th green standing over a 15-foot birdie putt, with the crowd silent anticipating what was about to happen. I could see the Green Jacket ceremony in Butler Cabin. Unfortunately my golf game is only above average and that just doesn't cut it.
The course is long and the greens are fast which can lead to a very frustrating day for any golfer. Of the four major golf tournaments, this is the only one that doesn't change venues from year to year. The players love the course and look forward to playing. They change the layout a little each year trying to make it more challenging as the game progresses but the beautiful scenery is something that never, ever changes.
For many, if you ask them what event is on their bucket list, they would say the Super Bowl or the World Series or even The Final Four. For me, it would be to play a round of golf at Augusta. For the amateur golfer it could be one of those life-altering events that you don't realize until many, many years later. It brings sons closer to fathers, brothers and friends closer together, if only for those wonderful 18 holes.
So do you know the history of the green jacket? Why green? Who was the first Master's winner to receive the green jacket? What if it had been pink, would golfers be so eager to receive one?
ReplyDeleteGood question. I didn't know the history behind it but after looking it up, I now know. The green jacket was given to club members so they were easily identifiable for people if they had questions during tournaments. Sam Snead was the first Masters champion to be given the green jacket in 1949. I think that in the early years of the tournament, wearing a shamrock green jacket was borderline socially acceptable. If it had been pink, back then, no one would have been very eager to receive one. However today, with some of the colorful outfits the golfers are wearing, I think they would be perfectly happy if it were pink or neon yellow.
ReplyDeleteA pink jacket could not be any worse than the plaid jacket the winner gets at the Colonial. Nasty!
ReplyDelete