Saturday, April 2, 2011
Sony Ericsson Open
I was watching the Sony Ericcson Open woman's final today and was struck by something. The final was being played by Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka and the tennis match was the most annoying one I have ever seen. So much that I actually had to mute the television because of the reoccurring grunting. Now I understand that you may grunt when you hit the ball because you are trying to hit it hard or put extra spin on the ball but this match was hilarious. Azarenka's grunts lasted until the ball was actually returned to her. How is that even possible? At least Sharapova's grunts were short. Does she make the noises to annoy the opponent? Does she feel it gives her an advantage? I am not sure of her reasoning but it was virtually unwatchable. These are two outstanding players and without the grunting it was entertaining (although Sharapova was not at the top of her game). Should the WTA do something or say something to the players so they tone it down? Maybe. It may help the popularity. It is tough to tune it out as a spectator, I can only imagine being on the court with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment