Friday, April 15, 2011

Playoffs

Today I wanted to preview the NBA Playoffs but as I sat down to do it, I realized that the NBA just doesn't matter to me anymore.  I used to get excited this time of year as the Playoffs began but as the game has evolved, it no longer interests me (and I love the game).  No one plays hard, plays defense, or stays loyal anymore (looking at you Lebron and Carmelo).  I am not the only one that doesn't watch either.  As I speak with my friends, basketball lovers as well, we talk about how little we pay attention to it and how laughable it is.

For my money, the NHL playoffs are where it's at.  These guys throw themselves in front of frozen pucks, shot 80 to 100 mph, with nothing protecting their face.  Talk about tough!  They can take a puck to the face (or a stick) that cuts them wide open or knocks out teeth and not miss a single shift.  They get stitched up and get back out there.  NBA players can learn a lot from them in the form of toughness.  Baseball players can too.  Hockey players don't miss time because of a sore bicep muscle or a blister.  Quite simply, they are paid to play so they play.  Of the 4 major professional sports, the average pay for hockey players is less than that of basketball, baseball, and football.  Maybe it's time they ask for a raise.

No comments:

Post a Comment