Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pistons vs. Red Wings

The Detroit Red Wings were on the verge of setting the record for most consecutive home wins in NHL history.  I was excited to watch and see how the game would play out.  I sat on the couch and turned it to Fox Sports Detroit and to my surprise, the Pistons were on.  I thought, OK, let me check NBCSports.  Minnesota was playing Anaheim.  Wow was I unhappy.  After all, the Pistons are having a stellar season at 8-22.  And they did just get beat by 20 by Washington (who is 7-21).  I think they should put a bad NBA team on FSD instead of a team on the cusp of history (sarcasm).  Instead the Wings were on FSD+, which I don't get.  As it turns out, the Red Wings were dominant and won 3-1, securing the record.  Wish I could have seen it.

The Pistons game, on the other hand, was pretty entertaining.  In typical Piston fashion, they got down 17 points against the San Antonio Spurs before mounting a rally.  Ben Wallace was playing in his 1,055th game which is the most all time for an undrafted player since the NBA-ABA merger in 1977.  They actually took the lead late in the 4th only to have the officials stear them away from a potential victory.  With Detroit down 1, Tony Parker got a "star" call on a play where Brandon Knight never touched him.  He made 2 free throws to put the Spurs up 3.  The next offensive possession for Detroit found Manu Ginobili guarding Tayshaun Prince in an obvious mismatch.  Prince did what all good players do when they have a smaller guy guarding him, he took him to the post.  Ginobili then did what is increasingly popular in the NBA.  He flopped and sold the official effectively ending the game.  It wasn't a total waste but I still would have like to watch history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment