I have had a couple days to think about the horrendous game that was Michigan State and Illinois. Not exactly an instant classic. This was a game that finished 42-41. 83 total points for the game. To say that each team struggled to shoot the ball is a huge overstatement. To put in perspective, Illinois guard Brandon Paul had 43 points in a win against Ohio State earlier this season. 43 all by himself. Neither team reached that mark. Michigan State had more rebounds (43) than either team had points. What!?! When has anyone ever had more rebounds than points? Those are mind-boggling statistics. Before the game, if you tell me that MSU hammers Illinois on the glass and shoots 83% from the free throw line, I would have told you that State wins by 15, if not more. As Chris Berman says, that is why you play the games.
To break it down further, MSU was 14-58 from the floor (24.1%) and Illinois was only marginally better at 15-46 (32.6%). Keith Appling was 1-11 from the floor including a missed layup at the end and Adreian Payne was 3-10, with all 7 of his missed shots being layups as well. Sometimes layups are hard, I get it. I have missed them with the game on the line. As a coach, there isn't anything you can do or say to make them go in. The guys aren't trying to miss them or any other shot for that matter. Sometimes you have tough nights. Nothing is more frustrating to a coach, believe me, I have been there too. It appeared that nobody wanted to win this game. Brandon Paul (73% free throw shooter) was 5-9 for the game including missing the front end of 1 and 1's, twice, late in the game. This was at home no less. Maybe Dan Dakich was right when he said that the basketball was over inflated.
Oh yeah, did I mention that Draymond Green (MSU's best player) sat out early with foul problems and then got injured late and was a non-factor? That certainly doesn't help things.
I try and watch all the Michigan State games and this is by far the worst offensive performance I can ever recall. They played great defense, were dominant on the glass and Brandon Dawson was a monster. But if you can't put the ball in the hole, you aren't going to beat anyone. This performance just makes the next game against Michigan all the more important. Hopefully Green will be able to play and I expect a great bounce back game (at home) against their in state rivals.
They can't play any worse.
To break it down further, MSU was 14-58 from the floor (24.1%) and Illinois was only marginally better at 15-46 (32.6%). Keith Appling was 1-11 from the floor including a missed layup at the end and Adreian Payne was 3-10, with all 7 of his missed shots being layups as well. Sometimes layups are hard, I get it. I have missed them with the game on the line. As a coach, there isn't anything you can do or say to make them go in. The guys aren't trying to miss them or any other shot for that matter. Sometimes you have tough nights. Nothing is more frustrating to a coach, believe me, I have been there too. It appeared that nobody wanted to win this game. Brandon Paul (73% free throw shooter) was 5-9 for the game including missing the front end of 1 and 1's, twice, late in the game. This was at home no less. Maybe Dan Dakich was right when he said that the basketball was over inflated.
Oh yeah, did I mention that Draymond Green (MSU's best player) sat out early with foul problems and then got injured late and was a non-factor? That certainly doesn't help things.
I try and watch all the Michigan State games and this is by far the worst offensive performance I can ever recall. They played great defense, were dominant on the glass and Brandon Dawson was a monster. But if you can't put the ball in the hole, you aren't going to beat anyone. This performance just makes the next game against Michigan all the more important. Hopefully Green will be able to play and I expect a great bounce back game (at home) against their in state rivals.
They can't play any worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment