Disappointing as last nights MSU - UM game was for Spartan fans, I feel it was a very telling story. I thought that if State won the rebounding battle (31-15), held Michigan to an average 3-point shooting night (6-21 29%) and out worked them than they would win big. Wow was I wrong about that.
The one stat line that stands out was the lack of free throws attempted. Michigan state averages 23 free throws a game and only shot 5! WHAT!!! Teams accidentally go to the line more than that. Last I checked, this is the Big Ten. It is a conference of physical play and tenacity where defenders practically get in your shorts to guard you. I am not saying that MSU should have gone to the line 23 times but Michigan was whistled for 8, count them 8 fouls the ENTIRE game. Unbelievable. There were many missed calls throughout the game and if you watched it than you know what I am talking about. And no I am not talking about the over and back call which was actually the correct call.
As the game unfolded, something else caught my eye. 6-7, 230 pound Draymond Green was being guarded by 6-4, 210 pound Zach Novak. Even people who don't know anything about basketball would recognize that as a mismatch. It is beyond me why Izzo never thought to throw the ball into the post every single trip. Who cares if you want to save that for late in the game or not. As a coach, you use what works until the other team stops it. Michigan could not stop it! The 3 times they got Green the ball in the post, they either scored or got fouled. Seems like an easy decision to me.
Players have to play and coaches have to coach. This loss is on Izzo (and Fife and Stephens) for not putting his players in the position to succeed.
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment